You helped give life-changing care to 885 children of
prisoners in Colombia in 2019!
The Children of Prisoners Program in Colombia is thriving.
With your partnership, Prison Fellowship Colombia provided support to more than 870 children of prisoners in 2019. The organization continued to cultivate deep and meaningful partnerships with fellow NGOs and faith-based ministries to provide children with a variety of outreach programs, including preventative health trainings, psychological evaluations, and advanced educational opportunities.
In certain regions, Prison Fellowship Colombia faced challenges due to ongoing gang violence and corruption. Caseworkers were unable to access these specific areas regularly due to dangerous conditions.
The team used the setback as an opportunity to implement new strategies – and began meeting with families in public parks, schools, and churches to better monitor children’s safety and needs.
Amidst numerous challenges, Prison Fellowship Colombia continued to see many victories for the children of prisoners. 60% of children in the program visited a parent in prison during the year, and many were reunited with their parent upon release from prison. Please pray for these families as they work towards reintegration and becoming self-sustaining.
God is moving in Colombia, restoring families and transforming broken lives into beautiful testimonies!
Children of prisoners and their families gather at the Prison Fellowship Colombia offices for a special Angel Tree Christmas event
Our Rescue Plan In Action
With your help, we pair each child in our program with a dedicated caseworker,
and ensure they receive support in these four essential areas. Here’s how you helped this year:
- 100% children in the program now have a birth certificate or national ID equivalent
- 100% of children were monitored, and confirmed to be living with an approved caregiver
- 454 children and 348 caregivers across six districts received child rights and safety training
- 750 children are fully vaccinated
- 308 children who, were in need, received de-worming treatment for parasites, as well as water purifiers and sanitation materials
- 100% families received additional nutritional support
- 520 children were supported to receive a health check via local clinics
- 491 children and 345 caregivers received health and hygiene training (ongoing goal)
- 95% of school-age children were registered in school (ongoing goal)
- 675 children, who were in need, received school support through uniforms, books, and other supplies
- 91% of children registered in school were confirmed to be progressing through school, and the team is working with the families and teachers on the best way to support those who are struggling
- 100% of children and their families participated in a resiliency building event
- All children were served by a caring Christian caseworker
- 523 children were supported to visit their parent in prison
- The team is working with 55 churches across the five regions
- 775 children were successfully connected with a local church
Changing Lives, for Good
You have already given so much hope to children in Colombia making way for a brighter future
and helping to restore their trust in people—and in a heavenly Father who loves them.