It was with great joy and thanksgiving that Prison Fellowship Malawi
launched the Children of Prisoners Program in 2019!
In Malawi, children who are left behind when a parent goes to prison are often exposed to dangers such as malnourishment, disease, early marriage, and violence. Prison Fellowship Malawi recognized the need for intervention and worked faithfully to build program framework and train caseworkers to stand in the gap for these vulnerable children.
The program officially launched in October with the enrollment of 68 children and grew to 150 children by December. In that short time frame, the team gained momentum working alongside local churches, NGOs, and government agencies.
We estimate that there are more than 42,900 children of prisoners in Malawi. Please join us in praying that God would continue to equip Prison Fellowship Malawi to reach these children with the love and care of Jesus.
Our Rescue Plan In Action
With your help, we pair each child in our program with a dedicated caseworker,
and ensure they receive support in these four essential areas. Here’s how you helped this year:
- 100% of children were monitored, and confirmed to be living with an approved caregiver
- The team began to identify the number of program children who are in need of birth certificates or other national identification in order to support this fully in 2020
- 50 children are fully vaccinated (ongoing goal)
- 40 children received important de-worming treatments
- 120 children and 47 caregivers participated in a health training
- 100% of children and families received additional monthly nutritional support
- 25 children received a health check
- 31 of school-age children were registered in school
- 100% of children registered in school received educational support through uniforms, books and other supplies
- 25 children were connected with a local church
- 130 children and their families participated in a resiliency event throughout the year
- 100% of children were served by a caring Christian caseworker
- 46 children were supported to visit their parent in prison
Changing Lives, For Good
You have already given so much hope to children in Malawi, making way for a brighter future
and helping to restore their trust in people—and in a heavenly Father who loves them.